In Memento Nora, the main characters create an underground comic to share their memories and the nefarious things they discover going on in their city with their classmates (and ultimately the world). Your students can create their own comic strips and submit them to us for publication on this website. (See Memento Nora Project for contest details.)
In fact, a few schools are helping to get the ball rolling on this project. (See this Memento Nora Project press release.) You’ll see their kids work as well as the curriculum that was developed as a result right here at the end of Spring semester.
Here are a few resources to help you incorporate this activity in your classroom.
Books about creating comics.
- Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud
- Making Comics by Scott McCloud
- Reinventing Comics by Scott McCloud
- Writing for Comics by Alan Moore
- DC Comics Guide to Digitally Drawing Comics
Websites / blogs